posted Feb 9, 2012, 6:31 AM by Dean Murray
updated Feb 25, 2012, 12:04 PM
MKS Annual Meeting and Auction
WhenSat, February 25, 3pm – 8pm
WhereCherokee Tavern, 886 Smith Avenue South, West St. Paul, MN 55118 (map)
DescriptionThe annual business meeting includes the approval of a slate of officers for the 2012-2013 board year, a dinner, awards and recognition for volunteering, and silent and verbal auctions where people can bid on a variety of kite related and other nice items. You MUST be a Minnesota Kite Society member to attend. There is parking available in back of the restaurant or on the street.
3pm - 4pm setup the room4pm - 5pm (or so) social hour, check out the silent auction5:30pm - 6:30pm dinner6:30pm - 7:00pm Annual meeting7:00pm - ? End silent auction, have the main auction, more socializing.
Times are estimated.
The Annual meeting/banquet and auction is fast approaching. Please drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you plan on attending so we can let the restaurant know. The meal price is $25 in advance, $30 at the door.
We have received some commitments for auction items and pictures will be posted soon and updated as items come in.
As a teaser here are some of the auction items we know:
- There is an awesome Fled kite donated by the participants in the December kite workshop. Sewn by Barb Meyer.
- We have a Nancy Lockwood bird kite!
- Ken Runke has donated an awesome Roller kite and will have a "Mystery Item".
- We received several kites from Dennis Yeager of Minneapolis from his collection that are really nice. His donation includes a new Trilby 3 stack, Shark kite, a beautiful dragon kite and a real Sutton Flowform #16.
- Dave Gomberg has donated a 50% off discount certificate, good for an order from GKites.com (excludes Windfeather banners).
- T-shirts from the Drachen Foundation.
- T-shirts from Brad Klages.
- Delicate Arch Right-handed Boomerang from Dean Murray.
- 6 ft Dolphin Windsock from Dean Murray
- Pocket Sled kite w/ fuzzy tail from Dean Murray
Pictures and more to come.
This Nancy Lockwood Blue Jay kite is really nice. She calls it "Lady Jane Jay". The picture does not do it justice. Folks really need to come out to the Annual meeting and see this one in person.
Size: 5ft wingspan, 3ft head-2-tail
This is the MKS Fled Workshop donation. The fabric was donated by Ken Runke. The participants in the workshop shared the cost of the kite kit (sticks, notions, etc) and picked out colors based on the MKS logo. Barb Meyer sewed the kite.
Ken Runke has donated a great Roller kite and a Mystery Item! The roller is a Premier Swabian Roller by the Hespeler brothers. Retail for this kite is $180
This fast climber is great in light winds. Made entirely with wrapped carbon, this Roller is easy to fly and soars at high angles. 78x89.5in. (5-15 mph) Ripstop Nylon. Wrapped Carbon frame. 150lb. Test recommended.
Ken is also going to bring a Mystery Item. Ken's mystery items's are usually something really good. Thanks Ken!
This Shark kite, Sutton Flowform #16, Dragon Kite and Trilby 3-Stack were donated by Dennis Yeager. The Sutton is a "real" one made by Air Affair. The Dragon Kite was handmade by White Bird Kites.
From Drachen Foundation
- T-shirt, XL, dark gray, short sleeve with black and white screen print of "Into The Wind 20th Anniversary" on upper-left front and on the back
- T-shirt, XL, navy blue, long sleeve with multicolored with screen print of "Westport Windriders Festival 2008" on upper left front and white screen print of sponsors on the back
- T-shirt, XL, black, short sleeve with white screen print of "Kitemania" on upper left chest and red, white and green screen print of "Kitemania" with image on the back
- T-shirt, Large, light gray, short sleeve with multicolored screen print of 16th Annual 1999 Fort Worden Kitemakers Conference on the front
From Brad Klages
- T-shirt, XL, light blue, short sleeve with multicolored screen print of "Drachen Foundation Kite Sailing Symposium" on front and screen print of sponsors on the back
- T-shirt, XL, navy blue, short sleeve with multicolored screen print of "Wildwoods International Kite Festival, May 29-31, 2004" and three octopus kites on the front
- T-shirt, XL, white, short sleeve with red, blue and black screen print of "25th Annual American Kitefliers Association National Convention, Ocean City, 2002" on the front
- T-shirt, XL, white, short sleeve with red, yellow and blue screen print of "HKS Hoosier Kiteflyers Society" and kites on the front
- T-shirt, XL, light grey, short sleeve with red and black screen print of "Rockaway, NY Kite Festival, Chamber of Commerce of the Rockaways" on the front
- T-shirt, XL, white, short sleeve with multicolored screen print of "Kitty Hawk, 1903 Man Conquers The Air 2003, December 17 1903" on the upper left front and on the back
- T-shirt, XL, white, short sleeve with multicolored screen print of "Kites for Kids Spring SportsFest, March 23, 1997" on the front
- T-shirt, XL, white, short sleeve with red, blue, gray and black screen print of "Amtrak #501" and engine on the front
At U-MAKE Dean learned how to make a pocket sled kite. He has made this one for the MKS auction. Comes with a matching fuzzy tail and a kite bag.
Dean Murray donated this Delicate Arch Right-handed boomerang by coloradoboomerangs. The "original" super popular Delicate Arch is shaped after the geologic formation in the Utah desert. This is a BIG boom and it looks very cool as well. The flight and finish are unrivaled. Both tips weighted. 55 yard elliptical flight. wind: light-heavy. A $32 retail value.
Dean was a participant at U-MAKE in January where the feature project was a 6 ft Dolphin Windsock designed and taught by Martin Blais. He got an extra take-home kit and has sewn a dolphin windsock for our MKS auction. The windsock is signed by Martin Blais.
More coming soon...